Professional Support Services Department » FAQ



  • Does the NC School for the Deaf offer Audiological services?
    • Yes, the NC School for the Deaf does offer Audiological services. This includes hearing assessments, FM fitting, aural habilitation, and hearing aid and cochlear implant troubleshooting.
  • Can my child use his/her amplification; cochlear implant, hearing aid, personal FM system at NCSD?
    • Yes, all students at the North Carolina School for the Deaf (NCSD) are welcome to use their personal amplification devices. NCSD provides FM systems compatible with hearing aids and cochlear implants as deemed appropriate.
  • What happens if my child’s amplification is not functioning, how can he/she get assistance with it?
    • If your child’s amplification is not functioning, the audiologist can provide assistance to have his/her device assessed and fixed. This may include collaboration with the student’s private audiologist, and/or the amplification manufacturer.


  • What do school counselors do?
    • School counselors orient students to new school settings, refer students to special programs and services, counsel students regarding social skills individually and/or in groups, and are there to help students in crisis situations.
  • Do school counselors provide therapy?
    • School counselors do not provide therapy. Should you feel your child would benefit from a therapist your school counselor can help you with the steps for making that connection.
  • What questions would be appropriate to ask your child’s school counselor?
  • Does my child get along well with his/her peers and staff in the school environment?
  • What can I do to improve discipline at home?
  • A significant event has occurred in our family (death, divorce, illness, moving).  Can you help?
  • What do I need to do to prepare my child for college admission?

Occupational Therapy

  • What is Occupational Therapy?
    • Occupational Therapy is a health profession that utilizes the application of purposeful, goal-directed activities in the assessment and treatment of students with a wide variety of disabilities. In an educational setting, occupational therapy uses activity and adapted environments to facilitate the development and improvement of the student’s skills and independent function to increase the student’s ability to participate in the educational process.  They offer services along a continuum of prevention, promotion, and interventions and serve individual students and groups of students.

  • What areas are addressed in Occupational Therapy treatment? 
    • Activities of daily living, sensory-motor skills, musculo-skeletal development, neuromotor development, gross motor coordination, postural control and balance, praxis/motor planning skills, oral motor skills, functional mobility skills, bilateral integration, fine motor coordination, cognitive integration skills, psychosocial skills, visual perceptual development, and visual motor integration.   
  • Will my child receive Occupational Therapy?
    • Occupational therapy services for students with special needs are determined through the IEP process. Occupational Therapists collaborate with the team to identify a student’s annual goals and determine the services, supports, modifications, and accommodations that are required for the student to achieve them.

Speech Therapy

  • Does the NC School for the Deaf offer Speech Therapy services?
    • Yes.  The NC School for the Deaf offers speech and language therapy services provided by knowledgeable and experienced professionals who are state and nationally certified and well-versed in the nuances and implications of hearing loss.
  • My child has a profound hearing loss, how does he/she benefit from Speech Therapy?
    • Regardless of whether or not your child uses spoken language to communicate, he/she can benefit from intensive .  , environmental planning and support, ensuring optimal social participation, and close progress-monitoring of language acquisition by a speech and language pathologist.
  • Can my child work on spoken language in Speech Therapy?
    • Yes!  Students at the NC School for the Deaf are a diverse group of learners who strive for bilingual competence in both American Sign Language and English, spoken and/or written.  
  • Is speech therapy provided individually or in group sessions?
    • Speech and language therapy services are provided individually and in small and whole group sessions.